Fall 2011 ChemLuminary Awards
The Richland ACS Section was named a finalist for 8 ChemLuminary awards in 2011. Award winners were announced on August 30 during the
Fall 2011 National ACS Meeting in Denver.
The Richland ACS section won 6 of the 8 awards it had been nominated for.
- Outstanding Event for a Specific Audience, sponsored by the Committee on Community Activities (CCA)
- "Girls in Science" in its 9th year continues to draw a large crowd and is the crown of
NCW and Diversity and Inclusion activities for the Section. With help from over
60 volunteers, the event served 100+ girls in grades 6-8.
- Most Innovative New Activity or Program in a Local Section, sponsored by the Committee on Local Section Activities (LSAC)
- Richland Section student members and Eastern Oregon University faculty hosted a weekly
group of talented and gifted students over one month exploring chemistry and nutrition;
relating to fats, proteins and carbohydrates; and learning about nutritional labels.
The program concluded with a poster of a macromolecule that presented their findings to classmates.
- Outstanding Continuing Public Relations Program of a Local Section,
sponsored by the Committee on Public Relations and Communications (CPRC)
- Award was presented for their "Girls in Science” program, a hands-on investigation
inviting more than 100 girls to use critical-thinking and interdisciplinary techniques
to solve the question, "Is this an alien attack?"
- ACS Student Chapter Interaction Award, sponsored by Society Committee on Education (SOCED)
- Nutrition was the focus when ACS student chapter members joined the Richland
section in offering a month-long program for talented and gifted students and
Saturday Science to children from the Confederated Tribes of the U-ma-till-a.
- Outstanding Kids & Chemistry Award
- Members of the Richland Local Section provided a number of high quality programs exposing
students to the wonder of chemistry. These included Girls in Science,
Saturday Science and nutrition workshops for local students.
- ChemLuminary Award for Diversity, sponsored by the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board (D&I)
- The Richland section held “Saturday Science” at Blue Mountain Community College with
35 middle school students that included many Native Americans. Students conducted
hands-on activities revolving around nutrition and closed the event with a magic show.
The Richland section was also nominated for several other ChemLuminary categories
- Best Overall Local Section Minority Affairs Committee
- Outstanding Outreach to Girls in Elementary Education
- Outstanding or Creative Local Section Younger Chemists Committee Event
The nominees presented posters describing the accomplishments associated with each category. Those posters
will be presented again during the
ACS Leadership Institute
for local section and division leaders, which will be held January 20-22, 2012 in Ft. Worth, TX.
For more information, see the
ACS ChemLuminary Awards page